Just before Christ went to the cross to redeem humanity he brought some of His closest friends near in the garden of Gethsemane and asked them to watch and pray with Him. He came back twice and both times found them asleep as he had been crying out in prayer. When he found them the first time sleeping he said to Peter, “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?”
Right now we are calling people from various churches, denominations, ages and backgrounds to all come together leading up to 9/11 in a time of fasting and prayer. We are calling everyone to commit at least one hour per day with Jesus in prayer and to consider inviting others to join with you each day during this time.
When was the last time you spent an hour with the Lord in prayer outside of a service at church or a programmed function? Do you struggle with etching out the time or making this a consistent priority in your life? We want to encourage you to place on your calendar this next 40 days a time each day to pray for at least one hour.
Here is a great pattern of things you can pray for each day of the week:
- Monday: Personal Revival and Deeper Communion with Jesus
- Take this time to spend time with the Lord and ask Him to make your heart more tender and affectionate towards Him. Pray out of Ephesians 3:16-18 and that God would reveal His great love to your heart. Confess your sins and struggles to the Lord each week and receive God’s forgiveness and grace. Ask him to give you more of His Spirit in your life.
- Tuesday: Revival in your family and close friends
- Make a list of unsaved friends and family and write them on paper somewhere you can track this list. Pray for them out of scriptures like 2 Peter 3:9 and Ephesians 1:18 that they would have their eyes opened and they would repent and give their lives to Jesus.
- Wednesday: Revival in your city
- Spend an hour praying for some specific needs within your city. Pray for the civic and church leaders by name. Ask God to end things like addiction, abortion and human trafficking in your city. Read aloud Psalm 8 and pray this over your city and region. Pray for the Church in your area to become unified and to come together as one (John 17, Eph 4).
- Thursday: Revival in your nation
- Take this time to pray for your nation to be transformed by a revelation of Jesus Christ. Pray that Jesus Christ would thrust out laborers into the great harvest field of your nation (Matt 9:38). Pray for the Church in your nation to be kept blameless, holy and set apart (1 Thess 5:23). Pray for those who have leadership and influence over arts, entertainment, media, government, schools and business by name and that God would give them wisdom and that He would direct their hearts (Prov 21:2).
- Friday: Revival in the nations
- Choose a particular foreign nation or region to pray for during this hour. Pray for God to give grace and peace to the Church in that nation (Gal 1:3). Pray for God to raise up and send people into that nation to share the Gospel with those who have not heard the good news. Ask God to give you specific ideas on things to be praying for with this particular foreign nation or region.
- Saturday/ Sunday: Open
- Take each weekend to spend time worshipping Jesus with your family and your church. Set apart this time to pray however the Holy Spirit leads you and feel liberty to just rest in the Lord’s presence as you meditate on His word (Psalm 46:10).
We hope this template/ guide will help you not only during these 40 days of prayer and fasting but that this time will also compel you to continue to give at least one hour of each day to the Lord in prayer!
May God give you grace and strength for the journey.
Please Visit 911unitedinprayer.com to Sign up to join us in this time of fasting and prayer leading up to 9/11.